Monday, October 14, 2013

Joanna's Interview:
Joanna: Do you know what fracking is?
Mary: I know it has to do with getting oil from underground. I hear it is harmful for the environment.
Joanna: Do you know what this process involves?
Mary: I know a drill is used pushing gallons of water into the ground, along with chemicals.
Joanna: When did you first hear about fracking?
Mary: Up until recently I had no idea what it was, but lately it has been all over the news. A lot of talk is being done about the possibility of this fracking corporation opening up in New York. The only other time I have heard of fracking was a video I had to watch for a class of a person setting their faucet water on fire.
Joanna: What is your opinion on fracking?
Mary: I do not know that much about it. However, I do feel that it has more negative effects than positive. From what I hear a lot of chemicals are involved in this process that are just left behind. I also hear about explosions happening because of it.
Joanna: What affects do you think fracking has on the environment?  
Mary: I think it is leaving a lot of toxic chemicals behind, that in the long run could cause damage. These chemicals could cause explosions or worse. Especially in a highly populated area like New York this could be detrimental to their city.
Joanna: Do you feel that fracking should continue?
Mary: Honestly I would say no, but I know it would still continue.
Joanna: What changes do you feel need to be made to this process?
Mary: If they continue to use this method they should come up with an effective way to dispose and extract these harmful chemicals. The side effects of fracking are extremely harmful for the environment.
Reflection:
I did this interview with my older sister Mary. She is a 21 year old college student. She actually knew a lot more about this topic than I thought she would. She does not know about it in great detail, but she definitely has a pretty good idea what its about. I liked to see her view of fracking and see how it compared to mine. From talking with her further I found out that she only knew as much as she did because of an environmental class she was in. What does this mean for the rest of the world? I feel that a lot of people are unaware of this growing issue today as it continues to get closer and closer to where we live. It is not that they are stupid, they just have not been educated on this topic. No one cares until it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment