Monday, October 14, 2013

Jake's Interview:



Jake: So now that we're actually sitting down, what do you know about fracking?

Manfred: I've heard of it. I know that it's bad for the environment. Apparently it uses a lot of water messes with the land.

Jake: What exactly does it do to the land?

Manfred: I think it messes with peoples' water supply. Communities around the places where fracking happens are affected pretty badly.

Jake: Do you know why fracking is used?

Manfred: Yeah, it helps us get a lot of natural resources. There are actually a huge amount of them that we get from doing it.

Jake: Which natural resources are yielded from this process?

Manfred: I don't know for sure. I'm not going to pretend that I know.

Jake: How much water do you think is used every time one instance of fracking occurs?

Manfred: Probably hundreds of gallons.

Jake: How does that make you feel?

Manfred: I know of a whole bunch of other ways that water could be used that I'd imagine would be far more beneficial to humans and the earth in general.

Jake: Why then, do we continue to do it?

Manfred: We need natural resources. Our economy practically runs on them. We have no real basis of how to live without them, and to the people who are doing it, the resources are more important than water.

Jake: What are some ways that we can go about change?

Manfred: I wish I could give you an answer to that. You'll have to tell me when you find a way to make a living off making change.

Jake: It sounds like you aren't totally knowledgeable on this topic. Why do you think that is?

Manfred: While it's a big controversy, it hasn't affected me personally. It isn't as talked about as it should be.

Jake: Thanks for answering. You've been a big help.

Reflection:

So after all that I gained a few points of knowledge. The interviewee, a family friend, knew next to nothing about fracking. Sure, he got the general idea and seems to see that it's a bad thing, but there's so much more to it than just that. He's a pretty normal guy. He knows things. He's no dummy, and it's not like he doesn't pay attention to the world. So why doesn't he know what's going on with fracking? I'm gathering that it just isn't well known. People seem to not realize just how relevant it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment